SHORT ANSWER STUDY GUIDE QUESTIONS - OEDIPUS REX
PROLOGUE AND PARODOS:
1. What has been happening in Thebes that brings all members of the community to Oedipus's palace for answers?
2. What deep has Oedipus accomplished that makes people beleive he is "the man surest in mortal ways/And wisest in
ways of God"?
3. What do the people of Thebes want Oedipus to do for them?
4. Who is Creon?
5. Who does Oedipus send to Delphi to learn how to save Thebes?
6. What suggestion does Creon make when Oedipus asks about the message from the god, Apollo?
7. Who is Laios?
8. Why has no one made an attempt to find out the truth about what happened to Laios?
9. To which three gods does the Chorus pray for help?
10. What does the Chorus want the gods to do for them?
SCENE 1 AND ODE 1
1. What promise does Oedipus make to anyone who comes forward with information about Laios's murder?
2. Why does Oedipus berate his people with regard to King Laios?
3. Who does the Chorago suggest could help Oedipus locate the whereabouts of the murderer?
4. When Oedipus asks the prophet to reveal the name of the murderer, what is the prophets response?
5. What conclusion does Oedipus jump to when the prophet continually refuses to give specific information about the events
surrounding the death of King Laios?
6. Who does the prophet finally reveal as the murderer of King Laios?
7. Who is said to be the most concerned with the fate of Laios's murder?
8. Who does Oedipus accuse of being behind a plot to destroy him?
9. Who does the Chorus say will follow the killer wherever he goes?
10. What seems to be the attitude of the Chorus in Ode I toward the prophet's revelation?
Scene 2 and Ode 2
1. Why is Creon upset at the opening of Scene 2?
2.What is Creon's defense against the accusations against him?
3. Who does the Choragos claim can settle the dispute between Oedipus and Creon?
4. What convinces Oedipus to allow Creon to leave?
5. What "proof" does Jostaca offer the prophets do not tell the truth?
6. What is Oedipus's reactions to hearing that Laios was killed in a place where three highways met?
7. What has become of the only surviving member of the attack on King Laios's party?
8. Why had Oedipus fled Corinth many years before?
9. Who does Oedipus insist Jostaca send for?
10. According to Ode II, what can be said about the hearts of mortals?
Scene 3 and Ode 3
1. To whom does Iocaste make an offering?
2. What news does the messenger from Corinth bring to Thebes?
3. How does Oedipus react to the Corinthian messenger's news?
4. How did Polybos die?
5. Who does Oedipus claim to still fear in Corinth?
6. Specifically, what is Oedipus afraid of in Corinth?
7. What revelation does the messenger make to Oedipus?
8. How did Polybos come to raise Oedipus as his own son?
9. Who begs Oedipus to forget about finding the truth of his parentage?
10. Upon what mountain had the infant Oedipus been found?
Scene 4 and Ode 4
1. Who identifies the old shepherd as the man who spared the infant Oedipus?
2. Where does the shepherd say he'd tended his sheep?
3. How did the shepherd and the messenger from Corinth know each other?
4. How does the shepherd react when the messenger states that King Oedipus was the baby the shepherd had given him?
5. How does Oedipus react to the shepherd's reluctance to speak?
6. Who had originally given the infant to the shepherd?
7. Why had the infant been handed over to the shepherd to begin with?
8. Why didn't the shepherd destroy the infant as instructed?
9. What truth does Oedipus learn?
10. Whose "great days" [are] like ghosts gone"?
1. What news does the second messenger bring?
2. What did the messenger claim to have heard beyond the locked doors to the Queen's apartment?
3. What took the messenger's attention away while in the Queen's room?
4. What happens to Jostaca?
5. What did Oedipus do after he held Iocaste in his arms?
6. What does Oedipus claim he will do now that the truth is known?
7. Who does Oedipus blame for his fate?
8. Who takes over as the ruler of Thebes?
9. Who has been sent for to say good-bye to Oedipus?
10. What finally becomes of Oedipus?