1. Who are Reverend Parris, Betty, and Abigail? What
is their relationship?
2. Who is Tituba? What is her relationship to the family?
3. What is wrong with Betty?
4. Why does Parris suggest calling Reverend Hale?
5. Who are Ann and Thomas Putnam? What do they suggest is
What is their motivation for suggesting
6. Who is Ruth? What is her relationship to the Putnams?
What is wrong with
her? How do the Putnam's tie her to Betty's
7. Who is Mercy Lewis? What is here relationship to the Putnams?
8. What does the conversation between Abigail, Mercy Lewis,
Warren, and Bety reveal about their recent activity?
9. Who is John Proctor? What is his relationship to Mary
Warren? What is his
relationship to Abigail? How does he feel about
his relationship to Abigail?
10. Who is Elizabeth Proctor? What does Abigail think of
her? How might
this affect the outcome of the play?
11. Who is Giles Cory? Why is he introduced into the play?
12. Who is Rebecca Nurse? What is here role likely to be
in the play?
13. Why is the issue of Parris's salary raised?
14. What is the Putnam's grievance over land? What significance
might this have in the play?
15. What do the Putnam's think of books other than the Bible?
How do you learn
about this in Act 1?
16. How does Hale confuse Tituba? What is the signficance
The Crucible - Act 2 Study Questions
1.At the beginning of this act, John Proctor says, "It is winter in here yet." Why is this pertinent to what
is going on?
2.Why has Mary Warren disobeyed her employers
and gone to Salem?
3.What did Abigail Williams reveal to John Proctor? Elizabeth reminds him of this.
4.Why hasn’t John told the court what he knows? What does Elizabeth attribute his
not telling to?
5.What lie did John Proctor tell to Elizabeth which makes her more suspicious of him?
6.What news does Mary Warren reveal to John and Elizabeth about the trials?
7.How does Mary Warren behave towards her employers?
8.What does Mary Warren mean when she says, "I saved her life today!"?
9.What does Elizabeth realize when she finds out that she has been accused?
10.What does Elizabeth ask John to do?
11.Why does Reverend Hale visit the Proctors?
12.How does John Proctor respond to questions about why he has not been to church?
13.What does Reverend Hale ask Proctor to do?
14.Discuss the meaning of "Adultery, John."
15.What information does John Proctor reveal to Reverend Hale?
16.What does Reverend Hale want John to do with this information?
17.Why does Elizabeth say that she doesn’t believe in witches at this point?
18.What news does Giles Corey reveal to the Proctors and Reverend Hale?
19.What has Rebecca Nurse been accused of?
20.Why has Martha Corey been accused?
21.Why do Ezekial Cheever and Marshal Herrick arrive at the Proctor home?
22.Explain why Cheever is both astonished and afraid when he finds the poppet with the
needle in it?
23.What does John ask Mary Warren to do?
24.Why is Mary so afraid to do as he asks?
Deputy Governor Danforth
1.As this act opens, what accusation does Giles Corey make?
2.What news do we learn about Rebecca Nurse?
3.When John Proctor arrives at court with Mary Warren, what
does Reverend Parris accuse him of?
4.What two pieces of evidence are brought out against Proctor
in regard to his Christian nature?
5.What news does Danforth tell John Proctor about Elizabeth?
What deal does he try to make with him?
6.What is going to happen to the 91 people who signed the testament
stating a good opinion of Elizabeth, Martha Corey, and Rebecca Nurse?
7.Discuss "Do that which is good , and no harm shall come to
thee." (pg 95)
8.What is Giles Corey’s proof that Thomas Putnam is "reaching
out for land."? Why won’t he reveal his source?
9.What happens to Giles Corey?
10.What is Reverend Hale’s advice to John Proctor as
he is about to read his disposition before the court?
11.What does Danforth think Mary Warren’s appearance
in the court might be?
12.When Mary Warren says that she pretended to faint in court,
what is she asked to do? What is the result?
13.What does Abigail do when suspicion that she might be pretending
falls on her?
14.What does John Proctor do to discredit her?
15.Who is called to back up John’s testimony? What happens?
16.What happens when Reverend Hale states that Abigail has
always seemed false to him?
17.What is Mary Warren’s reaction to Abigail’s
18.What does John Proctor mean when he says, "God is dead!"?
19.What does Hale do when Proctor is arrested?
1. What has become of the women imprisoned
2. Why has Reverend Hale returned to Salem?
3. What is Reverend Hale advising the condemned
4. What does Reverend Parris reveal about
his niece Abigail?
5. What is the condition of Salem at this point?
6. How does Andover
differ from Salem?
7. How do the proposed hangings of Rebecca
Nurse and John Proctor differ from the past executions?
8. What does Reverend Parris want Danforth
9. What does Reverend Hale want Danforth
10. What does Reverend Hale mean when he
says, "there is blood on my head!"?
11. Why does Danforth
refuse to postpone the hangings? What does this say about the logic of the court?
12. What do Hale and Danforth
request of Elizabeth Proctor?
13. What happened to Giles Corey? How
does this end the land dispute between the Putnams and the Coreys?
14. What is John’s excuse for confessing?
15. What is Elizabeth’s proof that John is a good man?
16. How has Elizabeth changed since we first met her?
17. Why does Danforth
bring Rebecca to hear Proctor's confession?
18. After John confesses, what does Danforth want him to do?
19. Discuss "I am John Proctor! You will
not use me!"
20. What does Hale attribute Proctor’s
willingness to hang to?
21. What does Elizabeth attribute it to?