SHORT ANSWER STUDY GUIDE QUESTIONS -
SHORT ANSWER STUDY GUIDE QUESTIONS -Antigone
Prologue and Parodos:
1. How are Antigone and Ismene related?
2. Who are the two brothers mentioned in the prologue?
3. How did the two brothers die?
4. What is King Creon’s decree?
5. What does Antigone plan to do?
6. What is Ismene’s decision regarding the King’s decree?
7. What does the Choragos compare Polyneices to in the Parodos?
8. What city has “seven gates in a yawning ring”?
9. What does the Chorus compare Thebes to?
10. According to the Choragos, what does God hate?
Scene 1 and Ode 1:
1. Who is the new King of Thebes?
2. How did the new King of Thebes claim heir to the throne?
3. What crime has Ployneices committed in the opinion of the king?
4. What news does the sentry bring to Creon?
5. How was it decided which of the sentries would bring the news about Polyneices to Creon?
6. How does Creon believe the act of burying Polyneices was carried out?
7. What does Creon demand that the sentry do?
8. According to Ode 1, what is the most wonderful of all the world’s wonders?
9. Of all the winds, man has made himself secure against all except one. Which wind is that?
10. List man’s accomplishments according to Ode 1.
Scene 2 and Ode 2:
1. Who has the sentry captured and brought before King Creon?
2. How did the guards manage to capture Antigone?
3. How did Antigone react to being captured by the sentries?
4. What reason does Antigone give for defying Creon’s decree?
5. Who else does Creon have arrested in connection with the crime of burying Polyneices?
6. Why is Antigone angry with Ismene?
7. Besides being Antigone’s uncle, how else were Creon and Antigone related?
8. What is to be Antigone’s punishment for burying her brother?
9. According to Ode 2, who is the fortunate man?
10. Who is the god who must not be made angry, according to Ode 2?
AntigoneStudy Guide Questions
Scene 3 and Ode 3:
1. What is Haimon’s initial response when his father asks how he feels about the king’s
decision to execute Antigone?
2. What does Creon say that men pray for?
3. Why is Creon intent on harshly punishing, even family members, all those who break the
4. What does Haimon claim is God’s crowning gift to man?
5. What does Haimon tell King Creon about the people of Thebes’ allegiance to him?
6. Whose point, King Creon’s or Haimon’s, does the Choragos support?
7. How does the city feel about Antigone’s crime?
8. While Creon is ranting at his son, what does the king threaten to do?
9. Describe Creon’s death sentence for Antigone.
10. According to Ode 3, what is it that “even the pure Immortals cannot escape”?
Scene 4 and Ode 4:
1. Whose fate does Antigone compare to her own?
2. What does Antigone beg the people of Thebes to bear witness to?
3. Who does Antigone blame for her terrible misfortune?
4. According to the chorus, what is considered a virtue?
5. What does Creon sarcastically say would have man singing forever?
6. According to Ode 4, who was locked away in a brazen vault?
7. Who came to the princess while she was locked away?
8. Who “bore the gods’ prisoning anger for his pride”?
9. What is the “half remembered tale of horror” that old men tell?
10. Who, as a child, had “raced with young colts on the glittering hills/And walked
untrammeled in open light”?
1. Who is the blind prophet who comes to speak to King Creon?
2. What does the prophet claim that he heard which frightened him?
3. What happened when the prophet began “the rites of burnt-offering at the altar”?
4. What does the prophet claim to be the cause of the gods’ reaction to their offerings?
5. What does the prophet claim can be done to repair the evil performed against the gods?
6. What is King Creon’s reaction to Teiresias’ message?
7. What is it that Creon claims all prophets love?
8. What warning does Teiresias give to King Creon if he refuses to heed the prophesies?
9. What advice does the Choragos give King Creon once Teiresias leaves?
10. How does King Creon react to the advice of the Choragos?
AntigoneStudy Guide Questions
Paean and Exodos:
1. The Choragos and the Chorus pray to a “God of many names”. What are some of these
2. Who does the messenger claim is “a walking dead man”?
3. How has Teiresias’ prophecy that Creon would pay to the gods “flesh of [his] own flesh”
4. Who is Eurydice?
5. What were Creon and the messenger doing when they prayed to Hecate and Pluto?
6. What did King Creon and the messenger do as soon as they finished their tasks regarding
7. Describe what Creon saw when he looked through the crevice into Antigone’s tomb.
8. Describe Haimon’s reaction when Creon entered Antigone’s tomb.
9. What happened after the messenger relayed the news about Haimon and Antigone to
10. What does the Choragos claim is “always punished” by the gods?